Posts Tagged ‘BCA Classification’

When does the approved use of a building change for an occupancy permit?

Saturday, April 2nd, 2011

Image courtesy of Tree Hugger

The Building Regulations in Victoria provide little guidance as to what this actually means. Regulation 1011 states:

“A person must not change the use of a building or place of public entertainment unless the building or place of public entertainment complies with the requirements of these Regulations applicable to the new use.”

Many Private Building Surveyors have been interpreting this clause using application of Regulation 112 Classification of Buildings. This limits interpretation of use as defined to the range of generic uses in the BCA classification system. This is not what 1011 says at all!

BDC recently got “caught out” on a project with just this interpretation of 1011. (more…)